Tuesday, May 16, 2006

My Dive Gear Reviewed

Finally got to try out my newly bought Wetsuit, Mask and Fins at Pulau Hantu last sunday. I shall give each of my new piece of apparel a review:

Ralf Tech Shield Power Wetsuit


A stylishly designed black and silver 3/2mm Full suit that fits me like a second layer of epidermis. The neck, ankles and wrist areas have Glideskin for easy donning of the suit and seals to reduce water flushing. The kneepads are made of compression-molded Kelvar so it can resist and protect from abrasion and stings... (I had 2 separate bad experiences with Sea urchin and fire corals because i was wearing a shortie then...)
Overall, this suit fits well, there's no movement problems but due to it being brand new, I was too bouyant...needed extra weights to keep me down. It isn't necessary to wear a full suit in local waters though...actually, I was sweating profusely especially during surface interval and rigging up of gears.
Bought for SGD 269 @Ralf Tech boutique(Circular Rd).









Oceanic Shadow Mask
This piece of art adheres to the contours of my face seamlessly and comfortably without water sippage or flooding. It is a frameless mask that has a low volume such that my vision is as close to the lens front as possible. The wide vision with jet black masking from the skirt enables me to focus during photography.
Bought for SGD 55 (comes with an anti flood snorkel) @ ADEX.








Scubapro Twin Jet Fins

This pair of fins are renowned as the fastest, achieving a record speed of 3 miles per hour! Then again, who needs to race underwater? I am one, who likes to take my own sweet time browsing and staying real close to the proximity of the reef outcrops for would be hiding macro subjects.

Bouyancy, rather than speed is important to me. What attracts me most, is the split fin design that have given me the easy maneuvering to hover and "frog- kick" myself steadily over the reef without damaging the corals and stirring up of the silt. Of course, when it comes to chasing pelagics, this pair of fins will never have any difficulty. As for fighting strong currents, I have yet to attest it. It does give a lot of power in just one fin kick so I would think it may not be a big problem as opposed to many others who think split fins will suffer fighting currents.
My Black Twin Jet is made of a more sturdy and stiffer material, therefore it is slightly negetively bouyant. This is an open foot pocket design such that you can use the toe muscles for added ease of control and higher efficiency in power!
Bought for SGD 265 @ Lucky Plaza (Orchard road).

Scubapro Tropic Pro Gloves


This pair of gloves features a high quality double layer 'Amara' palm that wears like thick leather and is unaffected by water. The Neoprene back also helps to keep my hands warm under water. It served me well while I was in Sipadan and Tioman where the currents at some sites were so strong that I have to crawl myself along the seabed. This 1.5 mm thick pair of gloves not only protect me from abrasions due to contact with rocks and barnacles, it also shielded my skin from the stinging nematocysts of Sea Anemones, where I love to forage for shrimps.
Bought for SGD 51 @ Lucky Plaza (Orchard road)


Scubapro Delta Club Booties

This pair of booties is made with 5mm thick neoprene material with Gusseted Zipper by the side, Toe and Heel Caps, Fin retainer and a thick 'anti-slip' marked sole. Perfect for my Scubapro Twin Jet fins as well as for future reef walks. Need I say more?
Bought for SGD $60 @ Lucky Plaza (Orchard Road).






Labels:

0 Bubbles Created:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Fin to the top Ascend to the Surface






























THE DIVER
About Me!
Name
Wyatt Ang Wee Leng

Common Alias
Weilong aka Ah Long

Astrological Sign
Pisces

Location
Singapore, The Sunny Island

Loves ♥
The Sun, Sand and the Sea

Highest Certification
PADI Advanced Open Water

No. Of Logged Dives
120

Have Dived
PENINSULAR MALAYSIA->>
P.Aur, P.Dayang, P.Perhentian, P. Tioman, P. Lang Tengah

SABAH MALAYSIA->>
P.Sipadan, P.Mabul, P.Kapalai

SINGAPORE->>>
Pulau Hantu, Pulau Sudong, Pulau Salu, Sudong Wreck, Pulau Jong

INDONESIA->>
North Sulawesi->>
Manado Bay, Manado Tua, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait
Bali->>
Nusa Penida, Nusa Lembongan, Tulamben and Puri Jati(Lovina)

THAILAND->>
Khao Lak->>
Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Boonsung Wreck


Next Diving Destination ♥
->>


Top 10 Must See
1. Whale Shark
2. Thresher Shark
3. Harlequin Shrimp
4. Lacy Rhinopias
5. Mimic Octopus
6. Flambouyant Cuttlefish
7. Wobblegong Shark
8. Weedy Sea Dragon
9. Mobular Rays
10. Stargazer



Email Me @...
Contact me!
dragondiver2005@yahoo.com.sg


Free Photo and Video by myphotoalbum.com




Time in Singapore is now:






CURRENT MOON


Today's Weather:


METEOROLOGICAL SERVICES
Fortnightly Weather Forcast

3 days Weather Outlook

Moonrise, Moonset Times and Moonphase Information

Tide Times for Singapore

Information courtesy of
National Environment Agency Singapore